Marathon Director Claims AI Was Not Used in Trailer
Drama
21 November 2025 11:36
Oscar-winning artist, director, and animator Alberto Mielgo has pushed back against rumors that the new eight minute cinematic teaser for Marathon was made with AI. The teaser came out a few months ago, but earlier this week Mielgo posted on Instagram to clear up the accusations.
"I can't believe we've reached a point where I have to clarify this, but here it goes: this is not AI. HELLO," he wrote. He shared the message with thanks to The Game Post and Eurogamer.
Mielgo explained that a large team worked on the short film. "Everything you see in this film: paintings, animations, 2D and 3D work, compositing, and renders done with huge team. One hundred fifty five incredible people and hell of hours, days, months… Yes, our Achilles' heel: time."
He also posted several still images from the project and wrote, "I truly love this little film."
When talking about AI itself, Mielgo said he does not follow the new technology closely. "But one thing is certain: AI will never take away my (your) urge or joy for making art and painting. That part will never be replaced."
At the end of his post, he added a note in parenthesis: "This text was kindly edited with ChatGPT XXX."
Some commenters asked Mielgo about separate claims of plagiarism at Bungie. He first replied by saying the studio had "accidentally" used certain assets, but those comments were later deleted.
Related news
View AllProblem boy of the industry, Ubisoft just announced their decision to accelerate investments in ITS generative AI project, on the...
Drama
May 20, 2026
Today Valve announced its decision to remove the NSFW tags from Steam, alongside other significant changes to the tag system....
Drama
May 20, 2026
The Japan Patent Office rejected Nintendo's new patent claim, now they have no chance but to wait. However there also...
Drama
May 19, 2026
Falcons winning Warzone Resurgence Series at DreamHack Atlanta gives the same two Saudi organisations every WRS LAN trophy in 2026,...
Drama
May 18, 2026
Konami is the last of the major Japanese publishers to formally pull live service from Russia and Belarus, and the...
Drama
May 18, 2026
Drama
21 November 2025 11:36
Oscar-winning artist, director, and animator Alberto Mielgo has pushed back against rumors that the new eight minute cinematic teaser for Marathon was made with AI. The teaser came out a few months ago, but earlier this week Mielgo posted on Instagram to clear up the accusations.
"I can't believe we've reached a point where I have to clarify this, but here it goes: this is not AI. HELLO," he wrote. He shared the message with thanks to The Game Post and Eurogamer.
Mielgo explained that a large team worked on the short film. "Everything you see in this film: paintings, animations, 2D and 3D work, compositing, and renders done with huge team. One hundred fifty five incredible people and hell of hours, days, months… Yes, our Achilles' heel: time."
He also posted several still images from the project and wrote, "I truly love this little film."
When talking about AI itself, Mielgo said he does not follow the new technology closely. "But one thing is certain: AI will never take away my (your) urge or joy for making art and painting. That part will never be replaced."
At the end of his post, he added a note in parenthesis: "This text was kindly edited with ChatGPT XXX."
Some commenters asked Mielgo about separate claims of plagiarism at Bungie. He first replied by saying the studio had "accidentally" used certain assets, but those comments were later deleted.
Related news
View AllProblem boy of the industry, Ubisoft just announced their decision to accelerate investments in ITS generative AI project, on the...
Drama
May 20, 2026
Today Valve announced its decision to remove the NSFW tags from Steam, alongside other significant changes to the tag system....
Drama
May 20, 2026
The Japan Patent Office rejected Nintendo's new patent claim, now they have no chance but to wait. However there also...
Drama
May 19, 2026
Falcons winning Warzone Resurgence Series at DreamHack Atlanta gives the same two Saudi organisations every WRS LAN trophy in 2026,...
Drama
May 18, 2026
Konami is the last of the major Japanese publishers to formally pull live service from Russia and Belarus, and the...
Drama
May 18, 2026